Sharing its setting here with the atmospheric ruin of his fortified house stands the pleasing early Gothic church that he built in the 1270s.
It has survived basically unchanged, though the attractive little tower is a Victorian addition.
The church is by no means ostentatious, but the craftsmanship and materials have all the hallmarks of a wealthy and fashionable patron of the time: fine detailing, Purbeck marble shafts and some windows that have progressed from Early English plain lancets towards the Decorated style, with trefoil and cinquefoil patterns.
Some of the original medieval floor tiles remain, and there is a tomb with a fine brass of 1382 to Nicholas Burnell, the 1st Lord Burnell. The much more elaborate 16th century tomb in the north transept is that of Sir Richard Lee and his wife.