It appears that this confusing little building was once part of a larger structure. It is thought that the church was probably built sometime in the 12th century, but sometime during the 19th century, a fragment of a 9th century cross was found nearby, raising the possibility of a much older structure on or near the present site.
The church measures around 6 metres by 4 metres. The tower dates from 1684, and replaced a smaller bell cote. The south wall, with its two blocked arches and blocked window suggests that there was once a south aisle to the church, probably demolished around 1684. The arches were blocked up, with a window being inserted later, also then blocked up.
Excavations between 1970 and 1974, showed that the north wall extended another 3 metres or so. Various shards of pottery were discovered, dating from the 13th century right through to the 20th century, along with large amounts of glass (plain and decorated) and painted plaster. The well preserved 14th century effigy of a knight was also found, along with grave slabs probably dating from the 11th century.