With an imposing 13th and 14th century tower topped by a stone spire and corner pinnacles, Tilney's church stands out in its Marshland setting.
It has twin towers at the west end, both of which have Norman origins. The northwest tower had to be rebuilt in 1452 as its foundations were giving way, and you can still see clear signs of subsidence inside the church. There was also once a huge central tower, but this is now reduced in height.
The west end of the church is a tremendous affair: between the two towers are a huge west window and a grand porch. Set into the southwest tower is an unusual 17th century clock which tells the phases of the moon and the state of the tides on the Great Ouse. Written round its face are the words 'Lynn High Tide'.
The original Norman church was enlarged in the 13th century, and more work was done in the 15th century.
Disaster struck on 8th September 1741 when a gale brought the spire of the southwest tower crashing down, destroying the lantern of the central tower and doing huge damage in the body of the church. The rebuilding work was done in 1744, in the Gothic style, an unusual form to use at this time, and is generally regarded as a success. Restoration work was done late in the 19th century, and it is from this time that the very large and unusual round east window dates.
Inside, the church has differing architectural features from the church's eventful history and is packed with interest. Here are two of the largest and most impressive brasses in Britain. The earliest is to Adam de Walsoken, who died in 1349, and the other is to Robert Braunche, who died in 1364. Both men were Mayors of the town.
The stalls and their misericords are from the late 14th century, as is the screenwork behind them. There are also screens with excellent woodwork from the 15th and 16th centuries. The beautiful wooden pulpit is Georgian, and the eagle lectern is a rare brass one of the 16th century. The sumptuous reredos dates from 1899.