Built in 1811, Edale is one of the oldest Methodist Chapels still in regular use. Inside it is very plain, with white painted walls, magenta gloss painted dados and dark varnished woodwork. The gated pews are composites of original and early 20th century workmanship. Two narrow marbled wooden columns support the centre of the currently closed-off gallery. Original 1837 (inscribed) cloths for the Minister’s table and Edwardian china with ‘Edale Wesleyan Chapel’ are still in use, as is one of two old harmoniums.
An £8,000 National Churches Trust Cornerstone Grant will help fund the installation of kitchen and toilets at the Grade II listed Chapel enabling it to better serve its community.