Our church is a Grade II listed Victorian building in beautiful surroundings, much loved for its peaceful interior and sense of 'sacred space', and with monuments dating back to the 18th century
In 1863 Edale, previously a part of the Parish of Castleton, became a separate parish by an order in Council granted by Queen Victoria. The present church, the third to be built in Edale, was consecrated by the Bishop of Southwell on June 26th 1886.
The church replaced a 17th-century chapel that stood across the road within the old graveyard. The earlier church was built in 1633 and consecrated on Trinity Sunday 1634 by Rt Revd. Robert Wright, the Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1812. Originally a part of the parish of Castleton, Edale became a parish in its own right in 1863. The current church was built between 1885 and 1886 to the designs of architect William Dawes of Manchester in the Decorated Gothic style. The contractor for the church was Thomas Beck of Matlock Bridge. The foundation stone was laid on 22 May 1885 by Lord Edward Cavendish and the dedication of the new church took place on 25 October 1889.
The church in Edale has been the centre of community worship, cultural events, and a visitor attraction for many years. It is part of the Church of England diocese of Derby, and is a Grade II listed building. Edale village lies at the start of the Pennine Way, and the church stands as a way marker en route to the moors.
There are weekly services, festivals, and children’s activities. The church provides a centre for cultural and social events including for the local school and visitors from the Peak Centre. We have recently developed heritage information banners and a set of short videos about the area and the church’s history that are permanently on display. These along with temporary exhibitions make additional attractions alongside our church treasures and our three Ninian Comper windows (northeast corner of the nave definitely, east end of the chancel possibly), the interesting brass and stone memorials, the wooden Benefaction boards above the main entrance, and the anonymous, recently restored 18th century picture of the Adoration of the Magi on the south wall of the chancel.
Our church is in the midst of some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK and is an ideal setting for contemplation, quiet thought and prayer, inside or outside. Many of our visitors leave their appreciation of our church in our Visitors Book.