The building was a former Temperance Institute.
The present building of 1872 by John Burnet with naïve and square tower with pyramidal roof, was originally built for the Free Church. In 1941 the Presbyterian church was destroyed by being bombed and thereafter the two Churches merged. The tower of the Presbyterian church was retained as a war memorial.
Within the church there are number of the original stained glass windows, which have been augmented by various works of art in recent times. A set of stained glass windows by Sadie McLelland (1972) that depict 'Recurrent Creation' are full of beautiful colours that light up the church.
The embroidered panels by Hannah Frew Paterson (1981) sit on the wall behind the altar. The whole work was designed with the shape of the hill providing a setting for the cross, and each of the panels showing the development of life from its origins to its fulfilment.
The woven silk hangings are by Sarah Sumison (1990). The two outer hanging being pale in colour, convey humility, peace and serenity. The two inner hangings are stronger in colour. In the one violet signifies love and truth, blue heavenly love, and purple God the Father. In the other vermillion signifies the Holy Spirit, violet love and truth and brown the earth and universe.
The Gospel Windows are by John Lawrie (1992). The Matthew window emphasises the humanity of Christ. Mark, the emphasis is on community. Luke, the sacrificial work of Christ. John ,the fullness of life. In each of the windows descending waters shows the nourishing effect of the gospel, coming down into life, while cherubim like wings suggest the power of the gospel to lift up to heaven.
Stained glass windows by Susan Bradbury (2012). The windows are in memory of Revd Andrew Scobie and the inspiration is from a hymn written by Andrew 'Look forward in Faith' and one of his favourite hymns 'You shall go out with Joy'. Each of the windows depicts Faith, Hope, Love, Joy and Peace.
The bells in the tower were originally made by Wilsons of Glasgow (1871). There were six bells originally and for the millennium two further bells were made so there is now a full octave. A short walk from the church will take you to the previous church on the Main Street in Cardoss and where the tower of the Presbyterian church and graveyard can be found.