A lovely building in rural Leicestershire dating from the early to mid 14th century but with some earlier as well as later features.
The church building dates back to the 12th century where it is thought to have founded by Hugh de Champaine.
Another name associated with the parish is that of the Turviles, belonging with the hamlet of Normanton Turvile. The effigies of Hugh Turvile, who died on the feast of St Denis 1340, and his wife (with the coat of arms of the Turviles) are found on a low alter-tomb. The figure is bare headed, with a hood folded over the shoulder. The body clothing consists of a long belted over-tunic and an inner tunic. The hands hold a heart. At the feet is a mutilated animal, perhaps a dog. Hugh Turville was a Member of Parliament which was held in Salisbury in 1347. An inscription in Norman French next to his wife reads: 'Here lies Agnes Turvylle, who died on the seventh day of July in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ one thousand three hundred and forty nine (1349) on whose soul may God have mercy'. The coats of arms of the Turviles are cut into the 'body' of this lady.
The west tower dates from the 13th and 15th centuries. The church was restored in the 1840s and 1850 by Stephen Fry. At this time the east end of the north aisle was rebuilt and extended. The vestry was added and all of the tracery windows renewed. The chancel arch was renewed in 1861 and the tower restored in 1897.
Entrance to the Cchurch is through the west tower. The tower is in three stages and has champfered plinths and strings. The tower consists of a ringing platform, clock chamber and belfry. The external materials of the walls are of granite rubble with sandstone dressings to buttresses and openings. The roofs are pitched and covered in slate. The church is a Grade II* Listed building.