A lovely building in rural Leicestershire dating from the early to mid 14th century but with some earlier as well as later features.
Reference to St Martin’s church occurs in the Matriculus of 1220 when Hugh de Grantmesnil a powerful baron who owned much land in Leicestershire, gave it to the Abbot of Ware, who was Proctor of the monks of St. Evroult in Normandy, France. The first Rector was recorded in 1246.
The church was built in the late 13th and 14th centuries. It was restored and extended in 1884 by Stockdale Harrison. It has randomly coursed Mount Sorrel rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs with decorative tile ridges. It has a three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. There is a monument to Elizabeth Muxloe, who died in 1723.