Are you an experienced Project Manager who wants to help keep churches well maintained, valued and in use? You could make a massive difference to the UK's churches, chapels, and meeting houses by joining our team. Click here to find out more.
Every Church Counts
With hundreds of churches facing closure, a national plan is urgently needed to help secure their future. We are calling on the UK Government, heritage organisations and Christian denominations to work together to tackle the UK’s single biggest heritage challenge.Get involved
When the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) church outgrew the buildings, they were renting, they bought an abandoned church. The disused building has been transformed into a thriving community church. And this is just stage one of the journey.
Throughout his life, Lord Patrick Cormack was committed to helping churches. We wanted to share some of the different ways that Lord Cormack made a difference and helped to keep churches open and in use across the UK and the lasting legacy he leaves today.
Church of the Week
On his way to Cornwall in August 1743, a founding member of the Methodist movement, John Wesley, preached in Taunton, and made a further 22 visits to the town. The number of Methodists in the town grew quickly and in 1775 Wesley gave permission for them to build a preaching house. The Octagon Chapel was erected in Middle Street and was opened by Wesley on 6 March 1776. By the turn of the century, the need for a larger chapel coincided with the return of James Lackington to the town. He was born in nearby Wellington and, as a boy, he heard a sermon by a Wesleyan preacher and was converted to Methodism. With a loan of £5 (from a fund set up by John Wesley) he starting selling secondhand books in a small shop in Finsbury, which eventually developed into a huge bookshop called 'Temple of the Muses'. Lackington retired to Taunton in 1808 and, at his own expense, built a much larger place of worship which he named ‘The Temple’. In 1812 the Methodists from the Octagon moved to the ‘The Temple’. Throughout the 19th century the congregation and its needs grew. In 1846 the façade was extended by 12ft towards the road, and the first schoolroom was built. Later, in 1866, the chapel was rebuilt along an east-west axis and the existing schoolroom was enlarged.View Taunton Temple Methodist Church
Donate now to help churches stay open and in good repair
There is no bigger issue facing the UK’s heritage than the future of its churches. Help us in our mission to keep churches open and in use for generations to come.Donate now
Over 2000 Churches and chapels
We've helped keep open, in good repair and supporting local people since 2007.
£ 2 million awarded in 2023
To churches and chapels for urgent repairs, new facilities such as loos and kitchens and essential maintenance.
7 Churches and chapels
Removed from the Heritage at Risk Register in 2023 with the support of our grants.