The Primitive Methodist Church in Monkgate was built to replace the Ebenezer Chapel in Little Stonegate, which had become inadequate for the needs of the growing congregation during the 1880´s. The new site was chosen because of its proximity to Elmfield College, a Primitive Methodist college on the outskirts of Heworth. The Church, designed by F W Dixon of Manchester, was built at a cost of £ 8,000, including furnishings. The brickwork is of Ruabon bricks, with facings of Morley stone, the interior woodwork being chiefly of pitch-pine.The building originally accommodated 400 people on the ground floor and 375 in the gallery. The church is unusual for Primitive Methodist churches having Gothic and Classical elements with some good Art Nouveau style stained glass windows. The chapel´s design also included school rooms (a lecture hall, infants’ room and an assembly hall) at the rear, now a theatre.The Chapel opened on 7th January 1903 and was named in memory of John Petty who was a leading figure in the Primitive Methodist Connexion. John Petty was the first governor and theological tutor of Elmfield College and the boys attended worship at the chapel. (W.H. Balgarnie the prototype for Mr Chips studied and taught at Elmfield).Following Methodist union in 1932, the chapel became part of the York Monkgate Circuit and worked together with Monkbar Methodist (formerly United Methodist, which closed in 1934 and is no longer extant) and Groves Methodist Church (formerly Wesleyan now a supermarket), finally combining in 1972 to form Trinity Methodist Church on the Monkgate site.During the Second World War choirmaster, Archibald William Sargent, led hymn recitals at the chapel that were broadcast by the BBC 1937 - 1947. The chapel roof was also used for firewatches of York County Hospital during bombing raids.
The grant will help the church to replace stone mullions.