St Philip and St Jacob

 

St Philip and St Jacob church, Bristol is a Grade II* listed building which dates from the early 13th century. The chancel, nave and lower tower are the oldest sections. It also has a 15th century north chancel aisle and upper tower. The current building stands on the site of the oldest church in the Bristol area, a small Benedictine priory dating from at least AD 900. It was probably built by Robert, Earl of Gloucester, who also rebuilt Bristol Castle in 1126. The wagon roof over the nave and the carved wooden bosses in the ceiling are made from oak given by Richard II and date from around 1390.

The repair works required to the roof stem from a number of past lead thefts. These have been patched with a temporary rubber membrane that is now failing. Water penetrating through the roof has resulted in widespread water damage throughout the building, so the National Churches Trust's Grant will make the building watertight once more.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county