A church rising out of Bristol's north gate.
The present church was then built after surrender of the southern side of the site to enable Wine Street to be widened.
The church was designed by William Paty and completed in 1790. The Paty family were architects and craftsmen involved in building and joinery as well as design. Christ Church is arguably their masterpiece and is renowned amongst Georgian churches for the elegance of its interior and the clever use of light and space. It follows the design tradition of Gibb's St Martin in the fields, London and has similarities with Badminton church, Gloucestershire.
In the 19th century the church became the centre in Bristol for the Church Union whose high church views contrasted with those perceived and attached to the Georgian age. This resulted in unfortunate alterations in 1883 in pseudo Florentine style. The porch was altered, sash windows were replaced by tracery and stained glass, the original pews altered and the 18th century reredos replaced by the present stone version. The reredos was however stored in the crypt and with alterations erected as a Rood Screen in 1928. More recently the large marble pulpit of 1883 was replaced by the original pulpit, likewise fortunately preserved.