There has been a church on this site since the 12th century. The church was rebuilt on this old site in 1830 in a plain Gothic style, with a cruciform aisleless plan, and most of the western arm (with thicker wall) being raised as a tower. It was Grade II listed in 1960.
The last major refurbishment of the church occurred about 50 years ago and parts of the church were in urgent need of repair, as described in the 2014 quinquennial report. The project scheduled repairs to: the internal and external walls where there was water ingress and consequent structural damage; the gutters, gulleys and drainage, as they were contributing significantly to the water ingress and internal dampness problems; repairs to parts of the lead on the roof which was damaged by squirrels.