The foundation stone of St Peter’s was laid on July 19 1827, and the consecration ceremony held on 13 September 1829. Then called Holy Trinity, it was one of the “Commissioner’s Churches” financed by Government grants and declared to be in thanksgiving for the victories in the Napoleonic wars. St Peter's was built in a modest perpendicular style using fine red sandstone in complete contrast to the local vernacular buff sandstone or brick of the rest of the area. There is a three-stage west tower complete with working chiming clock and the church sits in an elevated dominating position overlooking the town centre. The bells mark the passing of time and ring for Sunday services, weddings and Jubilee celebrations and form part of a long aural heritage.
The work will include replacing the sheet copper roof coverings, the failing asphalt gutter on the south side, and any associated elements of the building such as the parapet masonry and new rainwater goods. The project will ensure that this special building is water tight and safe. The roofs will be sealed and the threat to woodwork, ceilings above the galleries on the north and south aisles, electrical conduits and lighting, will be alleviated, conserving the church for future generations of townspeople and congregations.