St John the Baptist

 

The church is a large building built of rubble with dressings of Barnack Stone. It is likely to have been built and paid-for by one of the bishops living in the (now disappeared) Bishops Palace which was sited only a few hundred yards from where the church now stands. It dates from 1250-1300 and started with the chancel, nave aisles and west tower. In the 14th century the roof was heightened to make a clerestory and a timber roof supported on stone corbels was constructed and the north porch was built. In the 15th century the south porch was added with wooden outer doors and the windows were added to the south and north aisles and the east window in the chancel. The chancel is a good example of Early English architecture. Of particular interest is the nave roof, which has carved roof bosses of heads and various symbols.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county

Back to Map