St John the Baptist
Awarded a grant to help fund a project to install a kitchen, servery and toilets. The kitchen and toilet project will greatly enhance the space for community use. It will be of particular help to older people and people with disabilities, for whom the lack of basic facilities is a significant disincentive to use the building for worship and other activities.
The first church known to have been on the present site dated from 1291. However, most of that building was rebuilt to a Victorian style in 1860, leaving only the substantial square tower unaltered. The present church consists of the chancel with pentagonal apse; north and south transepts; clerestoried nave with three aisles; a porch on the north side; a side chapel and clergy vestry; and the tower with a belfry.
Within the tower is a peal of six bells, and there is an organ adjacent to the choir. The church is generously proportioned for a small town, and is the largest publicly-usable space in the surrounding area.