St James

 

Nave early C12 with chancel rebuilt c.1220 and north chapel of similar date. Restoration 1857, bombed in 1939-1945 and restored in 1950 by Frederick Etchells. Works include urgent replacement of oak shingles on the church spire and installation of pattress plates and ties to arrest outward movement of the gable to the north chapel. The spire is located directly above the organ and is not wind and weathertight hence the work is urgently required.This church has considerable visual significance with a shingled spire that is characteristic of the rural parishes of Surrey.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county