The church is situated in the 'corridor' between the towns of Taunton and Wellington, and sandwiched between the Blackdown and Quantock Hills. The church, dating from the C13, stands in its well-maintained, tree-lined churchyard. One of the lords of the manor, Sir John de Merit (died 1391) founded a chantry chapel here in 1387. The effigy in the south wall is believed to be his. However, the present south aisle is C15. Most of the windows are also of that date. The west tower was added in the early C16, but the church was re-roofed 1858-9 and restored in 1867. Work is for roof repairs and some stone around windows, etc. The roofing works involve the removal of the existing slate coverings to the chancel and nave roofs, the renewal of the battens and the replacement of existing slates with new as required. Water ingress is on the increase and patching is becoming commonplace.