St Christopher's shares a churchyard with the older St. Andrew's. The Essex Way long distance footpath passes between them, together they attract many visitors. St Christopher's is the larger of the two; listed grade II* for architectural, historic landscape and group value. The chancel and nave were built c.1320; the west tower with embattled parapet and south porch were added in the middle of the 15th century. The church was much restored in 1853 by Joseph Clarke when the north aisle was added and the tower and south porch largely rebuilt but retaining their original lines.
Top tips from feedback:
- Do sufficient investigative work to determine the scope of work and establish extent of repairs, reduce scope for surprise.
- Think "big and widely" about "what if's" - what if we find the ceiling is loose, what is the timber is rotted etc.