St Botolph’s church is of special interest as a late Georgian town church in a powerful neo-Norman style. It was designed by William Mason of Ipswich and built in 1837 on the site of the 12th century Augustinian Priory of St Botolph. Its architecture, inside and out, reflects that of its 12th century predecessor. Externally, the church is dominated by a massive tower. Internally, it presents a bright contrast of white, scarlet and gold, retaining its original plan and most of its three-sided gallery in the style of the London gallery churches.
St Botolph’s church will carry out urgent repairs to its tower. The existing roof is in very bad condition and will be reconstructed. Necessary repairs to the tower masonry will also be carried out. The project will make sure the tower is watertight and in good condition for the next fifty years, and ensure that the extensive community activity that takes place can continue.
Top tips from completed project feedback:
It is important to impose tight control at the contract stage