New Hengoed Baptist Church
Baptists are believed to have worshipped in the area since 1650. However, they suffered persecution during the reign of Charles II and were forced to meet in secret. The New Hengoed Baptist Church building dates back to 1710, but was rebuilt in 1829 as it had become too small for the local population. Some of the oak interior was salvaged from the original building.
The chapel closed in the 1980s but re-opened in 2010. The building now hosts gatherings for young people and takes part in a Fare Share scheme to turn surplus food from supermarkets into meals for those in need.
This grant will help fund the installation of a kitchen and toilet to help turn the interior into a community gathering place that is open during the day. It is hoped that the chapel will host a wide variety of services that support the area, from counselling and health care to skills training and children’s play groups.