It was built in 1887-9 to designs of architect EH Lingen Barker of Hereford. It has a six bay nave and short, lower chancel with short north and south transepts, in the Early English style with plate tracery and bar tracery. The roof is arch braced on stone corbels carved with naturalistic flowers.
The church was extended in 1904 with the addition of a western tower. A gabled south porch may also have been added at this time.
St John's is a community church, very well used and a much loved community space in the busy rural village of Nelson.