Holy Trinity Church was first recorded in 1113. It is one of the largest medieval churches in England with a spire of 72 metres, a length of 60 metres and a seating capacity of approximately 600. The spire blew down in a gale in 1666 and was rebuilt in 1668. During the 18th and 19th centuries the church was extensively renovated, the galleries were removed and the current Victorian pews installed. The doom painting (last judgement) above the main nave archway, was painted between 1430 and 1440 and was rediscovered in 1831 after coats of whitewash were removed, but was then varnished over. It was cleaned and revealed in 2004 and is now considered one of the finest examples in Europe.
The project will replace the existing inadequate toilets with a modern toilet area, incorporating disabled and baby changing facilities, and improve internal access from the North Choir Aisle. They wish to achieve a warm, welcoming atmosphere and to stimulate the interest of visitors in the history of the building with its intact Charnel House, its 13th century ‘Doom Painting’ and the Priest’s Rooms – reputed to be the oldest surviving rooms in Coventry.