The handsome red brick church of Emmanuel is a landmark on the main road heading north out of Southport. It is the largest building in the area, seating 1,300. The foundation stone was laid in 1895 by the widow of Rev. Charles Hesketh who donated the site. Built to the design of architects Preston & Vaughan, Emmanuel is of Ruabon brick with sandstone dressings and a complex slated roof. Emmanuel is built in the Gothic style with great attention to detail for such a large building: there are several well-preserved gargoyles and these features repay careful examination. The most immediately obvious architectural features, however, are the impressive crossing tower and the unusual double-gabled south transept.