Christ Church was opened on the 24th May 1821, but its roots go back much further in time, nearly 300 years before, to 1526. In that year a chapel of ease was built to serve the people of the townships of Warley, Norland and part of the township of Skircoat, in the ancient Parish of Halifax. It was situated on low-lying ground just opposite the junction of the Ryburn stream with the River Calder, between a fulling mill to the east and Sowerby Bridge to the west. The architect responsible for the design of the current church was John Oates of Halifax who produced what was described in 1836 as being “a handsome and commodious chapel of the Gothic order of architecture”, which provided 962 sittings. A much later opinion, that of Sir Nikolaus Pevsner in 1959 was that it was “a big church without the paperiness of so many churches c1820”.
The grant will help the church carry out roof repairs