The parish dates back to 827. Its original church, mentioned in the Domesday Book, was mostly replaced 1240-1250. The present building retains the original C13th font, chancel, south aisle chapel and lower part of the tower. It is built from Isle of Wight stone rubble with some flint work. The east windows are fine examples of early English architecture. A north chapel, north porch and crypt were added in 1842. The church is full of memorials to the Barrington/Simeon families of Swainton Manor, several of whom are interred in the crypt. A late C14th brass of a knight with a dog at his feet, is believed to be William Montacute, son of the Earl of Salisbury, killed in 1379 whilst jousting with his father. Daniel Evance, rector of Calbourne and former chaplain to the Earl of Essex, general of Cromwell's parliamentary army, is buried in the chancel. Works to repair roofs and stop water ingress.