Areas of the church date from the 13th century although much of the present building dates from the early 15th century. The square tower was largely rebuilt in the early 15th century. The clock is dated 1725 and was made by the Swaffham blacksmith. The tower contains a peal of six bells, which are still rung today by the Litcham Bellringers. The church has an unusual red and green painted rood screen which was completed in 1536 and shows twenty-two painted images of saints. The tracery of the upper portions of the screen are carved with great delicacy. The female saints can be identified as Sitha, Cecilia, Dorothy, Juliana, Agnes, Petronella, Helena, and Ursula. The baptismal font is of the early 15th century and shows shields, now stripped of their identifying painted arms, on the bowl. The church also contains a wooden Dutch coffer, of which there are only five in the country, this used to be used for storing books. Another notable feature is that none of the faces on the statues have been erased unlike in other churches of the area.
Top tips from feedback:
- Visit the church often to see and understand the work in progress and to support continual engagement with both the church architect and builders.