There has been a church in Newton on Ouse since Saxon times.
The site offers a good view of the river. The large stone tower offered a useful observation platform, as well as becoming a safe refuge during attacks by the invading Danes.
The present church features a spire built on top of the very much older tower, which is the only remaining part of the church built 900 years ago.
The current Grade II listed building dates from 1849 and was commissioned by the Hon. Lydia Dawnay in 1848. The York architect, George Townsend Andrews, prepared the designs. Andrews had already made his name as architect to the Railway King, George Hudson, for whom he built many of the larger North Eastern Railway Stations.
The project will support urgent structural repairs to the tower, chancel, vestry, organ chamber and north aisle roof. Porch roof repairs will use salvaged sandstone slates from the building. In addition, repairs will be made to the upper stonework and re-leading windows in the building.