The tall Saxon tower of St Mary's was not always at the west end of the church as the original nave was dismantled in the late Norman period and the Norman chancel became the nave, with a new chancel added in the late 13th century.
This Early English church was built in approximately 1220, and contains some fine features from that period.
The chancel arch has beautiful triple-shafted responds and stiff leaf capitals, typical of Early English architecture. There is an exquisite 15th-century carved oak screen between the chancel and the Lady Chapel. The octagonal font is 14th century. The east window contains medieval stained glass, including, in the centre, a composite figure of a 14th century head, possibly of St Peter, on a 15th century body. The beautiful carved oak pulpit is dated 1629.
The tower was heightened in the 15th century and is a prominent landmark. It contains a ring of six bells, the oldest dated 1602. They are rung from the first floor. In 1997 they were restored, retuned and rehung.
The church is roofed with Stonesfield slates, a roofing slate mined in the village and used for many of the buildings in Oxfordshire, including Oxford Colleges.
The church itself feels welcoming, with much natural light. It offers a quiet space, lively worship, and much architectural interest. It welcomes many visitors and information leaflets are available.