The Tabernacle Chapel is one of the two surviving round churches in Wales.
St Peter's church is set within its own walled churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in 1863 to designs of Poundley and Walker at the expense of John Jesse of Llanbedr Hall, and replaced the medieval church, now a ruin, 400m to the north (NPRN 306844).
It is a small mid 19th century Gothic revival church with high quality design and detailing, largely unaltered, and substantially complete in its furnishings and fittings. The church is constructed of squared rock faced grey stone with polychromatic bands and voussoirs, bathstone dressings and plate tracery, under roofs of slate; the original purple slate roof with grey slate bands and terracotta ridge tiles to the nave (stone wheel crosses to gables), wrought iron brattishing with wheelcross to chancel.
The church comprises nave and narrower chancel, north vestry with steep hipped Frenchy pavilion roof and two stage chimney, and gabled south porch to the right of which is a square turret with octagonal open bell stage and stumpy columns supporting a spire topped by a wrought iron wheel cross. Inside, the four-bay nave is aisleless with scissor braced roof trusses, alternately arched braced and supported on foliated stone corbels and tiny columns with shaft-rings, and to the chancel a wooden compartmented waggon roof with diagonal bracing and carved foliate bosses at intersection points.
Fittings and furnishings include French Renaissance style oak organ housed in a moulded arched niche on the north side of the chancel next to the vestry doorway; original choirstalls with raised and fielded, cusped, multi panel fronts and carved foliate decoration to the bench ends, with supporting ringed shafts; and encaustic tiled pavement by Maw and Co.
Stained glass includes works by Clayton & Bell (contemporary), Shrigley & Hunt (1893), and James Powell & Sons (1886).