St Michael & All Angels was built due to the generosity of William Wright, born in Somerby near Brigg on 24th March, 1785. During his childhood Wright attended Louth Grammar School which must have left him with fond memories of the town as in his later years he gave the then current vicar of St James’s a blank cheque followed by a cheque for £1000 for the purchase of the site and the building works for this church. Sadly William Wright died before seeing the completion of St Michael’s.
St Michael’s became reputed for worshipping in the Anglo Catholic tradition and over 150 years later it continues to hold dear this traditional, yet inclusive form of worship.
An organ was procured in 1864 from Foster & Andrews of Hull at a cost £300 0s 0d. The cost for this was raised from a highly successful bazaar held in Louth Town Hall, a most impressive amount considering the value of money at that time. In 1908 the present Lady Chapel was added and cost £1,300 0s 0d.