St Cyprian's is a small but flourishing congregation set in one of Ninian Comper's most beautiful churches, living our calling as Christians by faithfully walking the Christian path.
St Marylebone parish church is set in the heart of central London. For more than 30 years, St Marylebone has pioneered the work of Christian healing and, as well as being home to the internationally respected St Marylebone Healing and Counselling Centre, the Crypt also houses an innovative NHS doctor’s surgery. We have close and active links with some of medicine’s Royal Colleges and provide chaplaincy to The London Clinic and King Edward VII’s Hospital.
St Marylebone has a flourishing Young Church and two schools and we provide chaplaincy services to the Royal Academy of Music and the University of Westminster, and work closely with nearby Regent’s University. The present parish church, opened in February 1817, is the fourth parish church to serve this parish. The fine Roman Renaissance frescoed apse was added in 1884 by Thomas Harris.
The altar before which Robert Browning married Elizabeth Barrett in 1846 can be seen in the Holy Family Chapel and hanging above it is the painting of the Holy Family donated to the new parish church by Benjamin West, PRA (1738-1820). The parish church of 1817 is reputed to have sat 3,000 people and a second gallery wrapped around three sides of the building. The organ is one of the finest recital instruments in the world and was built by Rieger Orgelbau of Austria in 1987.
Charles Dickens lived for many years next door to the parish church; he brought his son here to be baptised and vividly described the ceremony in his novel ‘Dombey and Son’. Bomb damage during World War II destroyed the stained glass windows; fragments of glass were collected and set in the windows seen today. The chandeliers were relocated here in 1968 from the old Council Chamber of St Marylebone Town Hall.
Memorials adorn the walls commemorating, among others, colonial administrators and governors and members of the East India Company. Sir John Stainer wrote his Oratorio Crucifixion for the choir in 1886 and it has been performed every year since. We are currently engaged in an HLF supported £8 million redevelopment project St Marylebone ‘Changing Lives’.
We are home to the internationally acclaimed Healing and Counselling Centre and the Marylebone Health Centre (NHS) and famed for our many historical connections and world class music. One five star reviewer wrote: As a parish church this one is quite breath taking and the fact that it is set in it’s own grounds gives a little more kudos. It’s nice just to sit in the grounds on a sunny day, particularly at lunchtime when it fills up with local office workers.