A fine medieval church with extensive 19th century restorations.
The church originated in the 11th century, with changes in the 13th and refurbishment in the 14th. It was also possibly remodelled by Capability Brown in 1763, and then restored by Edward James Willson. Willson, who is buried in the churchyard, was a close friend of AW Pugin and the building is Puginian in its archaeological correctness.
The earliest Heneage monument are the brasses to John Heneage (died 1435) and his wife Alice on the chapel floor. John, who is portrayed in civilian dress, was a yeoman and it was he that managed to acquire a share of the manor of Hainton that established the family in Hainton. The family fortunes were further bolstered in the early 16th century when the family profited from the acquisition of former monastic lands.
The impressive later 16th century monuments at the west end of the chapel, to John Heneage (died 1559) and his sons William and George are evidence of this new wealth. George is commemorated by a particularly lavish monument, a freestanding tomb chest with a painted alabaster effigy showing him in full armour lying on a rolled up mat.
The east end of the chapel has later monuments. One is a tablet by William Stanton commemorating grandfather, son and grandson, all called George. It is topped by a flaming urn and incorporates garlands and skulls and crossbones. Next to it is the wall monument to great grandson George by Bertucinni.