Built between 1327 and 1377 during the reign of Edward III, the stone carvings high on the walls of the chancel commemorate this fact as Edward looks across from the south side at his wife, Queen Phillipa, on the north.
Whilst the exterior is an intelligent 19th century rebuild by EF Law and others the interior reveals its 14th century origin with both octagonal and rounded piers. Note the knobbly and naturistic foliate capitals.
From the 17th century comes the Jacobean pulpit and 1662 font. The 19th century saw the arrival of stained glass notably by Hardman and Co in the chancel based on the design by AWN Pugin and later by Lavers & Westlake, and William Wailey.
Some good monuments especially that to members of the Danvers family, 1790 by Thomas Burnel & Son, rather old fashioned, neo baroque, with standing cherubs and obelisks. The Danvers family gave their name to the Manor House in the village, part of which survives as Danvers House, which stands at the west end of the village on the left side of the road at the apex of the hill.