Although there has been a church on this site for over 600 years, the building has been altered several times and what you see today is essentially a 14th century tower with a Victorian nave and apse.
The first reference dates from 1482, when it was one of a number of churches placed under the ecclesiastical authority of York by Archbishop Thomas Rotherham. At this time the church was dedicated to St Peter but the dedication was changed much later in history, possibly to distinguish it from the nearby church of St Peter at Letwell.
The old church was demolished in 1820, and rebuilt by the Galley-Knight family, who owned the Firbeck Estate from the late 18th century to the mid 19th century. It was probably at this time the dedication of the church was changed.
Further work took place in 1844, when a north aisle was added to house the organ and the vestry; in 1877 the north aisle was opened up, the nave was reroofed and the east end of the chancel rebuilt in the form of an apse. Finally, in 1900, a new tower was built to replace the one built in 1820.
The church has several fine stained glass windows and interesting hatchments and monuments, including some to the St Leger family. Anthony St Leger was the founder of the famous race in 1776 and the original racecourse was in an oval field above the village near the St Leger’s home, Park Hill Hall.
The churchyard is a designated site of special scientific interest.