St Macartan (The Forth Chapel), Augher, Tyrone Nina McNeary

St Macartan (The Forth) Chapel

Home to four amazing Clarke Studio stained glass windows, St Macartan's is spectacularly set in the heart of the lovely Clogher Valley.

Augher, County Tyrone

Opening times

The church is open from 9am to 5pm every day.

Address

Springtown Road
Augher
County Tyrone
BT77 0EA

Constructed 1838-1846, the church is located on the Carleton Trail and Ulster Way and is spectacularly set in the heart of the lovely Clogher Valley, County Tyrone.

The chapel is dedicated to St Macartan (d506) who is traditionally believed to have established a monastery at Clogher at the direction of St Patrick and houses four Clarke Studio windows which were all erected in 1922. Local writer William Carleton’s (1794-1869) short story Midnight Mass (1834) describes an open air mass that is purported to have been inspired by the meetings held at the hill fort in Ballynagurragh now the site of The Forth Chapel, hence it is felt the site has always historically been used as a Mass site.

The church is notable for its four Clarke Studio windows. Three of these were dedicated to the memories of the Kavanagh family, prominent local parishioners. Revd Hughes window was installed to commemorate the Archbishop John Joseph Hughes (1797-1864). Hughes was the first Archbishop of New York and was been born in Clogher Parish but emigrated to the United States in 1817. It was largely through his influence that St Patrick’s Cathedral on Fifth Avenue was constructed which is today a major New York landmark.

Revd John Hughes returned to Clogher where he celebrated mass in the newly completed St Macartan’s on 6th January 1846. An inscription on the Clarke Studio window reads ‘In memoriam most Revd John Hughes / First Archbishop of New York / A native of this parish / Died Jan 3rd 1864 RIP’.

The St Macartan window was erected in memory of Rose Kavanagh (c1859-1891), a local editor and poet. The third memorial window within St Macartan’s depicts St Patrick and was also erected in 1922 to commemorate a ‘Mrs Campbell'. This was Katharine Campbell (nee Kavanagh) who was the sister of Rose Kavanagh. The mother of Rose and Katherine Kavanagh was first cousin to Revd John Hughes, therefore making the three memorial windows within the chapel a family set.

  • Enchanting atmosphere

  • Famous connections

  • Fascinating churchyard

  • National heritage here

  • Spectacular stained glass

  • Accessible toilets nearby

  • Level access throughout

  • Parking within 250m

  • Walkers & cyclists welcome

  • Mass is held here every Sunday morning at 11.15am.

  • Roman Catholic Church

  • Grant, £2,500, 2020

  • Repair Grant, £7,500, 2020

  • Our Repair Grants funded urgent repair work to help keep churches open.

Contact information

Other nearby churches

Kiltermon Church

Kiltermon, County Tyrone

Kiltermon Church is sited in the northern side of the townland of Kiltermon, in the Clogher valley.

Clanabogan Parish Church

Clanabogan, County Tyrone

Gothic Revival church, built 1863 to designs by Welland and Gillespie, with interior by Thomas Drew c1889.

St Paul

Ballygawley, County Tyrone

St Paul's church was built around 1732 and rebuilt in 1768, becoming cruciform by the addition of an apse and transepts and a low bell tower.