Home to four amazing Clarke Studio stained glass windows, St Macartan's is spectacularly set in the heart of the lovely Clogher Valley.
That the town land itself takes the name of a church suggests a church on this site or townland prior to its naming. The current building was in existence at least from 1840, built to accommodate the mostly farming families in that west end of the Clogher Valley. Its ministry was provided from Clogher Cathedral leading up to Fivemiletown Parish achieving its own Incumbent in 1870.
This modestly sized building sits in what was once a quiet corner of the townland; there is a photograph from early in the twentieth century of the Clogher Valley Railway stopping outside the church for travelers to debark. Late in the century, a new three lane road was pushed through farmland adjacent to the church. However, this small church and congregation has maintained itself in quiet dignity, seeing its service move to a Sunday morning in 2006, and securing support to renovate its building in 2008. Its attending congregation has multiplied greatly, and members from Fivemiletown customarily worship there alongside new families, and those with historic links to Kiltermon.
The church has a bellcote, furnished with a chain pull bell, a gift from the Burnside family, and activated each Sunday from outside the church. Within, Kiltermon consists of a small porch with long glass panel entrance doors allowing light inside. The internal porch door is mahogany set with modern stained glass of the Parable of the Loaves and Fishes. An entrance stone bears the words ‘The Lord knows your going out and your coming in’ PS 139. The baptistry relocated in 2008 has a plaque showing the Holy Spirt as a dove. Nave seating, originally long board pews, are mahogany and cushion seats.
The Communion table was refurbished and frontals were gifted, made by Hunter Ferguson of County Antrim. A new stone in the chancel floor bears Jesus’ words, ‘This Do in Remembrance of Me'.
The parish’s most senior parishioner has always noticed the peace of Kiltermon Church, and many enjoy the morning light through its five amber, red and blue stained glass windows. Kiltermon Church continues to sit neatly into this quiet corner of the Clogher valley.