Later records show the village as ‘Farneley’ (1316) and ‘Farneley Tyas’ (1361). The Tyas part of the name is thought to have been a family name added by an ancient lord of the manor. By 1732 the lands were in the possession of the Earls of Dartmouth. The church was funded by William, the 4th Earl of Dartmouth.
The church was funded by William, the 4th Earl of Dartmouth. The architect was a Mr Chantrell of Leeds and the foundation stone was laid in 1838 by the Honorable Philip Saville. By 1840 the church was complete and dedicated by Bishop Longley. It was built in a traditional Gothic revival style with nave, choir, sanctuary, centre chancel arch and west tower with a plain spire.
The church underwent some restoration in 1880 and again in 1904, when three aisles were created and limed oak stalls, pews, organ case and vestry screen were installed. Inside there are many things to see including the modern etched glass doors in the porch, featuring the four Evangelists with their symbols and key events from the life of Jesus.
Also see the pulpit, octagonal font, beautiful stained glass and brass memorials. The exterior of the church is worth a closer look with its 47 decorative carved corbel stones high up on the exterior. These are all different and include floral designs, geometric patterns, an anchor with rope, the cross keys of the York Diocese, a bow and arrow, hunting horn, the Masonic symbol and a crescent moon.