A small rural church, built in 1856 and situated between the villages of Murton and Hilton in the Eden Valley, at the foot of the Pennines, in Cumbria.
The church was designed by George Robinson of Appleby and built in 1856. Comprises a large chapel like nave, and a three tier pulpit. We still have and use on special services the original oil lamps on the end of the pews. The building in constructed in soft red sandstone and sits in an enclosed churchyard, between the small villages of Murton and Hilton. No stained glass windows, but the east window faces the Pennines, approximately half a mile away. St John's is a daughter church of St Lawrence's, Appleby.