St James the Less

St James has a number of rare architectural features by master craftsmen including a carved rood screen and reredos, together with stained glass windows.

Penicuik, Lothian

Opening times

Please contact us.


Broomhill Road
EH26 9EE

St James is located in a semirural environment on the edge of Penicuik, 10 miles south of Edinburgh.

The church was opened for worship in 1882 and is a grade B listed building. Its stained glass windows, including some by Charles Eamer Kempe are a particular feature. A rood screen, designed by HO Tarbolton and elaborately carved by T Good divides the interior into nave and chancel and this, together with a 'forward' marble altar gives the building great character.

The reredos screen was commissioned by the congregation to commemorate the men of the church who died in the Great War. It was designed and executed by Alice Meredith Williams, who together with her husband designed the bronze plaque in the Scottish War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle.

  • Spectacular stained glass

  • Magnificent memorials

  • Enchanting atmosphere

  • Captivating architecture

  • Walkers & cyclists welcome

  • Steps to enter the church or churchyard

  • Ramp or level access available on request

  • Level access to the main areas

  • Dog friendly

  • Car park at church

  • Accessible toilets in church

  • Scottish Episcopal Church

  • Foundation Grant, £1,230, 2019

  • Our Foundation Grants fund urgent maintenance work and small repairs to help keep churches open.

  • Repair Grant, £10,000, 2013

  • Our Repair Grants funded urgent repair work to help keep churches open.

Contact information

Other nearby churches

Rosslyn Chapel

Roslin, Lothian

One of Scotland’s most remarkable buildings, Rosslyn Chapel has been in the ownership of our family since its foundation in 1446 and is still used today as a place of worship.

Colinton Parish Church

Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh

A church has stood here for around 1,000 years although what is seen today is largely the result of an outstanding rebuild in 1907-08 by architect Sydney Mitchell.