St Peter's church is situated in the centre of the village of Seaview, a small Edwardian resort located on the northeastern corner of the Isle of Wight, overlooking the Solent.
The ‘church on the hill’ replaced the 'old church' down on St Helens Duver which was washed away by storms after the river changed course and land was claimed by the sea. There are a few of the interesting old gravestones from this site set into the floor and the bell tower houses the original bell with an inscription bearing the inverted date of 1610.
Of particular note are the stained glass windows, the three light east window by Wailes of 1862 showing the Nativity, Crucifixion and Ascension, the deep colours show well against the dark background; in the south transept, the Sermon on the Mount by JH Dearle (of Morris & Co) of 1913 beneath dark hills and deep blue sky, and in the north transept a crowded scene with central figure of Christ in strong red robe, flanked by St Helen and St Wilfred (who reputedly brought Christianity to the Isle of Wight at St Helens Duver). When the sun shines behind this window it is truly breath taking!
There are some fascinating memorials and hatchments. On the west gallery are the Royal Coat of Arms of George I. In the chancel are large tablets to Sir Nash Grose, a judge, from 1814; and Edward Grose, 1815, who died at the battle of Waterloo, both of The Priory. Of particular interest is the touching memorial to Ellen Ellison, 1857, on the north nave wall, having an elaborate open canopy with foliage carving and flanking angels.
On the north side of the churchyard is the lychgate, a dark stained timber traditional lychgate with gothic tracery. It is the war memorial for the parish of St Helen. At the far end to the south of the churchyard there is a grass path Labyrinth watched over by a solitary oak tree, a wonderful aid to prayer, reflection, or just 'slowing down'.