This pretty country village is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as ‘Brodesworde’.
The beautiful small village church of St Helen’s has original herringbone masonry. The nave and chancel are early Norman and the short spire tower is thought to date from around 1300. The stone-ribbed porch is 15th century.
There are many interesting things to see including an early 14th century font, Royal Coat of Arms, two medieval piscinas and the pulpit with its fine medieval woodwork. There are also traces of red wall painting on the south arcade arches and round one of the windows.