Since around 1150, the honey coloured Yorkshire stone church and tower of St Peters has been welcoming people to Barnburgh.
There has been a church here since Norman times, and there remains a Norman chancel arch and font. The church was lavishly furnished at the expense of the Halifax family, who were also responsible for the removal of the gallery, box pews and the two tier pulpit.
There are various coats of arms which represent the various families connected with Hickleton. There is some beautiful glass, including two medallions thought to be 17th century. Large quantities of 13th painted window glass was found during an excavation in 1983 excavations.
The church is famous for its lychgate, and the three skulls displayed there, as well as for an extensive collection of European religious art and statutory.