It is a classic Gothic building from the mid 1800s, with a lot of stained glass, a lovely east window, and a very special War Chapel.
The church was built between 1877 and 1878, and was designed by the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin at a cost of £9,000 (equivalent to £800,000 in 2016). The land for the church was given by Lord Egerton, who also paid for the church and its parsonage. The church closed in the 1980s, but reopened around 2005.
St Clement's is constructed in red brick and terracotta and has a tiled roof. It is designed in a 13th century gothic style. Its plan consists of a seven bay nave with a clerestory, a chancel and north and south aisles. Above the chancel is a fleche with cladding in Westmorland slate. The nave and chancel are divided by buttresses across the aisles. Along the aisles are seven three light windows. The clerestory contains round windows. The east end contains a five light window, above which is an arch and gable with three stepped blind lancets, as well as heavy angle buttresses. At the west end is an unusual gabled portal in moulded brick with a roundel in terracotta containing tracery.
Inside the church the arcades are carried on round sandstone piers. The chancel is floored with Doulton tiles, and on its walls are murals depicting religious scenes, also in Doulton tiles. It also contains a tripartate sedilia. The chancel is vaulted. Part of the nave has been partitioned to form a meeting room. The two manual organ was built by Willis.