Welcome to the best of only four surviving medieval bridge chapels in the country, it has enjoyed a long and chequered history, and is truly a hidden gem right in the heart of Rotherham.
We are open for prayer and hospitality daily.
The Minster of All Saints' is one of the finest examples of medieval perpendicular architecture in the north of England. The 180ft spire topped with its 7ft gilded weathervane rises above the town centre as it has done for over 500 years.
There has been a church on this site for over 1000 years. The Saxon church was documented in the Domesday Book of 1086. The Norman church, built in the late 11th century, had a nave, chancel, north and south transepts and a short central tower. The Perpendicular church, built in the early 15th century, is largely the one you still see today.
The nave roof is decorated with 77 uniquely carved bosses, and there are over 20 green men hidden in the foliage carved on pillars and around the church. There is a Jacobean pulpit in an attractive Wine Glass design. The furniture in the chancel is some of the oldest in the church. The stalls are 15th century and have misiericords. On the bench ends are beautiful ‘Poppy Head’ figures, carved in 1480. They represent characters associated with the nativity.
The organ was built and installed in 1777 by Johann Snetzler, one of the best organ builders of his day. It has a typical Snetzler keyboard with reversed black and white keys. In the north transcept is the beautifully decorated brass and altar tomb, dedicated to Robert and Ann Swyft. They were ancestors of Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver's Travels.
The Jesus Chapel was created by Thomas Rotherham, the main benefactor of Rotherham in the 15th century. Born in Rotherham in 1423, he went on to become Lord Chancellor of England and Archbishop of York. Next to the altar is the Norman font, dating from about 1100, in which Thomas Rotherham was baptised.