Victorian gothic church, designed by a Benjamin Ferrey, a pupil and biographer of Augustus Pugin.
St Nicolas’ church was completed in 1216 on the site of a 5th century Saxon Priory, and is situated in a conservation area adjacent to Pevensey Castle. The church’s size and relative grandeur reflects Pevensey's then importance as a seaport, and it retains many original features. The chancel was built c.1205 and the nave c.1210: its high cradle roof, which consists of hand sawn and jointed Sussex oak, was probably made by local shipbuilders and remains practically unchanged.
The porch shelters the main door, which is studded with brass furniture. Three Votive or Crusader Crosses are etched into the porch, probably in the 13th century when pilgrims, crusaders and traders travelled from Pevensey for Europe, the Holy Land and beyond, and would have left these in the hope of ensuring their return.
The repair project will enable much needed improvements to the church's roofs and windows; these will make the building wind and water-tight for the benefit of worshippers, concert-goers and other visitors.