On 1st February 1828 a public meeting took place at the home of Mary Barber in Little Padfield and it was resolved ‘that a Chapel be erected for the hamlet of Padfield where Divine worship may be held on Sunday evenings and other opportunities as may be agreed hereafter’. At this meeting it was also resolved that the chapel be considered to be ‘belonging’ to the body of Christians called ‘Independents’. The first chapel, had just 12 pews and was built during 1828 for £265 as a branch of Tintwistle Independent Chapel and Sunday School. Revd JC Potter assisted in its formation and a 99 year lease for the ground was arranged with the Duke of Norfolk on 6th March 1829.
In 1901 the building was extended to include a polished wooden ceiling and a vestry each side of the building and a porch and vestry with cellar at the lower side. Thus providing much more room for worship and Sunday School. Mr and Mrs A Platt of Mersey Bank encouraged fundraising to the sum of £500 toward the cost of these extensions which was £800. A reopening ceremony on 19th March was performed by Mrs Platt using a gold key which was presented to her by Chairman of the Councillors, Mr Thomas Braddock.
On 22nd May 1972 the Independents or Congregationalists were asked to vote to join with the Presbyterians in the formation of the United Reformed Church. They voted against and the link with Tintwistle was broken.
A new link was formed in 1973 with Charlesworth Congregational Church and Padfield Independent Chapel became Padfield Congregational Chapel. Padfield Chapel has had a long history of community events. It hosted a very successful Cricket Team for many years alongside village events such as Family Plays, Musical evenings etc. Today chapel still hosts regular Quiz Nights, Tea Parties, a Tuesday morning club, and various Fairs throughout the year.
Padfield Congregational Chapel remains an important focal point in the village to this day.