The best example in Northern Ireland of a pre Norman monastic enclosure.
The Killinchy Presbyterian congregation was established in 1630. Originally built in 1714 the church appears to have assumed its present cruciform plan in 1739. In the late 1890s Revd William Smyth carried out extensive renovations to the church, installing heating and new pews, adding the label moulding to the openings and building the boundary wall. The last major alteration to the building occurred between 1940-50 when the external steps to the galleries were removed. Each wing of the cruciform has two evenly spaced windows each to the long walls and a centrally positioned doorway below a central window within an otherwise plain gable.
A £22,780 Cornerstone grant has been awarded by the National Churches Trust to pay for urgent repairs to the roof, windows, rainwater goods and some doors at Killinchy Presbyterian Church, which will help it better serve its community. Funding for the grant comes from the Department for Communities Historic Environment Division's Covid-19 Culture, Languages, Arts and Heritage Support Programme. The church also receives a £5,000 Wolfson Fabric Repair Grant from the Wolfson Foundation on the recommendation of the National Churches Trust.