Nothing can be more peaceful to behold than the little church at Colintraive, situated by the shores of the Kyles of Bute, clearly visible from the sea against a dark background of trees.
Lochgilphead lies at the end of Loch Gilp (a branch of Loch Fyne) and lies on the banks of the Crinan Canal. The first parish church was built in 1827 as a Parliamentary Church, funded by the Government, but this proved inadequate for the growing community and was replaced in 1885 by the larger present building, complete with clock bell tower. The architect was John Honeyman of Glasgow. The adjoining Church Hall was built in 1911, designed by William Todd, who was in the Charles Rennie MacIntosh school of design. The stained glass windows in the Chancel area are by the acclaimed artist Henry Holiday. Dedicated in 1904, they are of superlative quality, comprising three lancets representing the nativity.
The grant will fund repairs to the roof and flashings, and repoint the external masonry walls which need to be raked out and repointed with lime mortar.