900 years of worship in the heart of Oxfordshire.
St John the Evangelist is Victorian built in 1868/9 to replace an 18th century church close by. It was built in the French Gothic style with prominent buttresses and an unusual bell turret. The font is from the earlier church. The church was designed by C.C. Rolfe when he was 21, for his father Reverend G.C. Rolfe, and had joined the firm of his uncle, William Wilkinson in Witney. It is described in its listing as "as eccentric and exuberant style in Gothic."
The grant will help fund a project to replace the failing floor at the west end.